John Lloyd Williams, was a noted botanist, author and musician. He was one of the founders of the Welsh Folk-Song Society, established in 1906 to promote the collection and study of traditional Welsh folk songs, and became the first editor of the Society's Journal. Williams was born at Plas Isa, Llanrwst. In 1873, having first worked as a pupil teacher, he became a student at Bangor Normal College. In 1875 he was appointed head of the Board School at Garndolbenmaen. While working there, he indulged his love of music by writing operas for the school to perform. He lectured in botany at the University College of North Wales, Bangor and acted as Director of Music for that College. In 1908, he was awarded the degree of DSc. He subsequently became Professor of Botany at the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, from 1915 until he retired in 1925. In 1931 he became editor of the music magazine Y Cerddor.