John Wilson was an English composer, lutenist and teacher. Born in Faversham, Kent, he moved to London by 1614, where he succeeded Robert Johnson as principal composer for the King's Men, and entered the King's Musick in 1635 as a lutenist. He received the degree of D.Mus from Oxford in 1644, and he was professor of music there from 1656 to 1661. Following the Restoration, he joined the Chapel Royal in 1662. He died at Westminster.