Concerto Grosso, A minor, No.4, is part of The Concerti Grossi, Op. 6, or Twelve Grand Concertos, HWV 319–330, are 12 concerti grossi for a concertino trio of two violins and violoncello and a ripieno four-part string orchestra with harpsichord continuo. First published in London by John Walsh in 1739, in the second edition of 1741 they became known as Op. 6. Written to be played during performances of Handel's oratorios and odes, they incorporated the full range of his compositional styles, including trio sonatas, operatic arias, French overtures, Italian sinfonias, airs, fugues, themes and variations and a variety of dances. The concertos were largely composed of new material: they are amongst the finest examples in the genre of baroque concerto grosso. The fourth concerto in A minor is a conventional orchestral concerto in four movements, with very little writing for solo strings: the first movement has been described as one of Handel's finest movements, broad and solemn.