William Flackton was an 18th-century bookseller, publisher, amateur organist, viola player and composer. He is perhaps best known today for his compositions for the viola. Flackton was born in Canterbury and was the eldest surviving son of John Flackton and Catharine Sharp. He demonstrated a talent for music from an early age and at the age of nine he was admitted as a chorister at Canterbury Cathedral. He was apprenticed to the Canterbury bookseller Edward Burges until 1730 when he set up his own business as a stationer and bookseller specialising in the second-hand and antiquarian book trade. He was in partnership with his brother John from 1738 and later traded in partnership with two of his former apprentices, first as Flackton and Marrable from 1774 and as Flackton, Marrable and Claris from 1784. The ESTC Database records over 60 books published by the firm. Flackton was the organist at the church of St Mary of Charity in Faversham between 1735 and 1752. He had a particular interest in church music which is demonstrated by his collection of music manuscripts, now held in the British Library. One of the more significant of Flackton's church compositions is Hymns for Three Voices which was composed in support of the Sunday school movement. Non-church music composed by Flackton includes A Glorious Chase in F major for three voices and horn, which he composed for the Canterbury Catch Club. Some of his works are used as examination pieces by many music schools.