5th September 1808
19th March 1866
Louis Clapisson was a composer and collector of old musical instruments.
Clapisson was the son of Antoine Clapisson horn player, a member of the Chapel of King Joachim Murat and later principal horn at the Theater of Bordeaux. Some of his compositions for horn have survived. He studied at the Paris Conservatory under Antonín Reicha and then worked as a second violinist at the Paris Opera.
He composed a number of successful comic operas and was in 1847 appointed a Knight of the Legion of Honour. In 1854 he became a member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts. Since 1861 he taught harmony at the Conservatoire de Paris. Here he was in the following year also curator of the collection of historic musical instruments, which derived in large part from his possession and that he himself had restored.